Zvitambo is a multidisciplinary public health research institute whose mission is to improve maternal and child health in Zimbabwe and to apply its findings to improve health globally. Zvitambo conducts research and provides technical support and education to reduce the burden of malnutrition and infectious diseases.
Zvitambo is looking for an energized and committed research midwife to support a clinical trial in Shurugwi district (Midlands Province) called CAMMS, which is evaluating the effects of antenatal calcium, aspirin, and multiple micronutrients during pregnancy on birth outcomes. The trial will enroll between 1500-2000 pregnant women from clinics in Shurugwi district and follow mother-child pairs until 6 weeks postpartum.
This post is based full-time in Shurugwi district.
CAMMS Research Midwife
We seek an experienced midwife to train in obstetric ultrasound for the trial. The midwife will undertake dating scans to all pregnant women at their ANC booking visit to ascertain their gestational age. When they are not conducting ultrasounds, they will support other CAMMS study visits, including sensitization of pregnant women, seeking informed consent, collecting questionnaire data, and collecting study specimens as per the protocol. The midwife will be part of the study team and reports to the trial manager. He/she will liaise with senior obstetricians on the team to provide informed information on pregnancy complications and adverse events. They will participate in community outreach activities to promote early booking and study intervention adherence and address any myths and misconceptions connected to the study.
• RGN with Midwife training
• Current practicing certificate
• Certification in HIV Rapid testing
• Strong track record in delivering antenatal care in Zimbabwe
• Excellent organisational skills
• Strong motivational skills
• Ability to work to strict deadlines.
• Fluency in Shona and English.
• Computer literate
• Commitment to working as part of a multidisciplinary research team
• Commitment to working hand–in-glove within MoHCC district structures and systems
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively to hospital staff, pregnant women and their family members.
• Valid certificate in Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and Ethics is required by the Medical Research Council of Zimbabwe. Certificates can be obtained at www.amanet.org or: https://gcp.nidatraining.org/
• BSc degree
• Previous experience working on a research study
• Valid Driver’s license
The closing date for applications is 14 September 2023. Post to start 1 October 2023 with sonography training at Parirenyatwa Hospital, prior to starting the research post in Shurugwi. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications in the form of a cover letter and accompanying CV should be addressed to: The CAMMS Trial Research Administrator.
Please email applications to [email protected] with the subject: Application for CAMMS Research Midwife.