Africa AHEAD (AA) is a national NGO founded in 1995 in order to address the needs of urban and rural communities through the Community Health Club (CHC) methodology. The objective of AA is to relieve sickness and poverty and promote good health by empowering communities in Zimbabwe. The organization pioneered the Community Health Club approach and implements rural, urban, developmental, and emergency programs directly in-country, as well as providing a learning base for other countries wishing to start the Community Health Club Program in the country and region.
AA’s vision is to empower women in particular so that, as leaders in a fully functional Community, they are able to effectively control all preventable diseases and substantially alleviate poverty in their areas raising living standards for their families.
In response to immediate humanitarian needs as well as contribute to the long-term, national strategy of empowering communities and strengthening their resilience to hazards in the future, AA will partner with Action Against Hunger (AAH) in implementing an integrated WASH and Food Security Project in Mashonaland West (Kariba) and Midlands Province (Gokwe North)
AA therefore seeks the services of a Project Manager (PM), District WASH Supervisor (DWS), WASH Officers (WO), and MEAL Assistant. The incumbents will be based in either Gokwe North or Kariba Districts working closely with relevant ministries.
1. Project Manager(PM)
AA therefore seeks the services of a Project Manager (PM).
Reporting To: Head of Programs
The PM will be responsible for the smooth running of the software and technical WASH aspects of the program in the two Districts in line with National and Africa AHEAD (AA) protocols.
Duties and Responsibilities
He/she is expected to perform their duties according to the standards of operation expected by AA, according to AA’s philosophy, principles, and policies. In particular, the incumbent will maintain the highest level of procedural transparency for the organization and its donors.
The incumbent is expected to sign the Code of Conduct which describes the manner in which they should represent AA and behave in relation to other members of staff, project stakeholders and participants. The officer should also be familiar with AA policies that relate to their work (ignorance of AA’s policies and procedures will not be considered an excuse in incidences of malpractice).
The PM is the overall co-ordinator and will provide WASH technical expertise in support of the AA’s projects in the 2 Districts on a day to day basis. The PM will contribute to building sustainable household WASH behaviours among project beneficiaries and act as the Team Leader in the 2 Districts for all WASH issues in liaison with relevant stakeholders. He or she is expected to fully contribute as an AA team member, conducting himself or herself in a proper manner at all times as a representative of the WASH unit.
The incumbent will work to a defined work plan with timelines. A description of duties is set out below. However, as appropriate, other duties may be assigned by the line manager to enhance the smooth running of the project in line with project and organizational goals.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Overall coordination of WASH activities in the 2 Districts to ensure, minimum quality and accountability requirements are met
• Implement and maintain prescribed reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators, and outcomes of the WASH activities. Design and develop appropriate supervisory, in liaison with the MEAL Officer on systems for WASH interventions.
• Ensure that Africa AHEAD procurement and logistics policies are followed during the WASH activities implementation.
• Ability to work closely with WASH Engineer in the design and implementation of construction and rehabilitation of Solar powered Piped Water Schemes of water points resulting in quality construction and materials supply
• Ability to work closely with WASH Engineer and monitor Cash for Work Assets (construction of weirs and rehabilitation of dip tanks) resulting in quality construction and materials supply
• Timely reporting, on a monthly basis, regarding all WASH activities.
• Support the professional development of partners and subordinates
• Implement the WASH strategy to meet the program objectives.
• Design an appropriate overall response to the district specific needs, taking into account the needs of the community.
• Select and design, in collaboration with other actors a suitable hygiene promotion program that suits the local context and would be widely accepted by beneficiaries.
• Be conversant with WASHém and the Community Health Club Methodology
• Ensure and advocate for the consideration of cross cutting areas such as gender, protection, and sustainability within all WASH interventions resulting in empowered communities where take decision making roles
• Good understanding WASH integration with Food Security
• Support and influence innovation of WASH interventions in line with Project Management Cycle
• Contribute towards developing WASH related trainings, guidelines and standards and supporting the provision of trainings of WPMC, VPM and CHC
• Provide feedback to relevant project partners and the local authorities with an aim of assessing the effectiveness and the impact of the projects and propose recommendations for improvement.
• Work closely with Procurement and Finance Department for timely procurement of WASH supplies and ensure budget tracking
• Responsible for team cohesion and liaison with the Food Security Team at Field level. Provide regular updates and technical guidance to team on best practices, progress, priorities and challenges.
• Working closely with Logistics Department to ensure vehicles are parked timeously and safely on a daily basis.
• Report incidences related to the project to the Head of Programs within 24 hours of their occurrence.
• Ensuring data protection for all programme documents;
• Orient new staff and visitors on AA’s WASH activities
• Coordinate WASH co activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
Qualifications and Experience
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above positions, please send your detailed curriculum vitae (CV), Applications should be submitted electronically indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line and sent to the address given. All applications should be submitted not later than 22nd September 2023.
E-mail: Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically to: [email protected]
Africa AHEAD is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Africa AHEAD has zero tolerance for any form of harassment and staff are expected to uphold the organizational values and core competencies especially diversity and inclusion, integrity, commitment, and respect for others as our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children and safeguarding employees and communities from Sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse