With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
JOB TITLE: REGIONAL MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEARNING (MEAL) ADVISOR
Start Network is seeking a highly experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Advisor to coordinate and advise on the joint MEAL for Start Network initiatives in East and Southern Africa. This role will cover MEAL on anticipation, early actions and disaster risk financing across the Start Network Members in the region with specific focus on the current two disaster risk financing (DRF) countries as well as new countries in subsequent years. The role will work closely with the Learning and Research Advisor and the Global MEAL Advisor to ensure consistency of approach for MEAL on anticipation, early actions and risk financing initiatives across the region.
Regional MEAL Coordination and technical advice
- Lead the development and implementation of MEAL systems to track programme progress and quality benchmarks.
- Facilitate the generation of evidence and learning on Anticipatory and early actions as well as overall Disaster Risk Finance (DRF) systems in specified countries (Zimbabwe, Somalia and new countries in the region).
- Lead in developing ToRs, advising on evaluation methods, managing consultants, and ensuring learnings/recommendations are shared and adopted for internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the design of appropriate MEAL tools and frameworks for Start Network’s crisis financing mechanism to determine the effectiveness of the system and generate evidence and learning.
- Contribute the integration of the regional MEAL learning to the organisation’s overall learning.
- Lead on undertaking internal and external evaluations to inform programme learning and support the delivery of donor related MEAL requirements, including providing data to show progress towards results.
- Contribute to annual reporting of progress of Start Ready and Disaster Risk Finance Systems in the region.
- Support country teams to lead on developing and completing the framework for quality assurance of Disaster Risk Finance.
- Stay updated on emerging trends, methodologies, and tools in monitoring and evaluation, crisis anticipation, and disaster risk finance, and apply relevant innovations to improve MEAL practices in the region.
- Support the setting up of Accountability to Affected Populations mechanisms (Community Feedback and Response Mechanisms, participatory needs assessments etc.).
- Support design of MEAL activities in the Anticipatory Action protocols and Early Action contingency plans.
- Line- manage short term MEAL staff across regions.
Joint Evidence and learning across Start Network members
- Provide training and capacity strengthening to members on MEAL for the DRF system and inculcate a learning mindset and team approach among members to enhance the joint MEAL and evidence gathering from the different bodies of work advanced through the membership.
- Support the country’s decision- making structures on DRF funding instruments with relevant information from MEAL results, evidence, and learning to inform decision making on the Start Network funding instruments as required.
- Regularly provide learning emerging from regional Start Ready activations and Disaster Risk Financing systems post season reviews back to the global MEAL teams as well as members in-country.
- Support with developing and carrying out research related to Anticipatory Actions, early action, DRF in the region to generate exploratory evidence and learning.
Advocacy and Communications
- Contribute to advocacy and communication through regional evidence and learning generated from the regional programmes.
- Contribute to enhanced visibility and awareness of anticipatory, early actions and DRF systems and the role they play in effective management of DRF systems and timely humanitarian action.
- Support the communications team in disseminating learning around anticipation, early action and disaster risk financing.
- Support communications and digital teams with content creation as required.
- Be an internal and external champion of learning for anticipation and risk financing in the region.
- Participate in relevant forums prioritized for the region and contribute in conference panels and seminars to raise the profile of the issues addressed in the region.
Programme partnerships and Network Development
- Contribute to the development and implementation of nationally and regionally-led network growth through programme partnership approach and incoming Humanitarian Hubs.
- Support members engagements with the Forecast-based, Warning, Analysis, and Response Network (FOREWARN) and the community of practice for anticipation once the DRF countries join FOREWARN
- Provide tailored capacity strengthening to the programme partners and Hubs to bring them up to speed on the programme.
- Contribute to the development of partnerships with research organisations and other aligned humanitarian actors to enhance the generation of credible evidence on the added value of anticipation, early action and disaster risk financing work.
- Minimum of Honors degree (Master’s degree preferred) in MEAL, Statistics, Demography, Social Sciences and/or any relevant background.
- Minimum of 5 years professional working experience in MEAL in national and/or international multi agency initiatives in the humanitarian and development sector.
- Strong experience in information management systems and database management with ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and reports
- Multi-country/multicultural/multi-agency work experience is desirable.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach multi-agency teams.
- Experience with coordinating MEAL in a network, consortium, or other multi agency/multi-stakeholders initiatives, exercising maturity, sound judgement and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated analytical and data management skills with training and experience of some statistical applications.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write clear and concise reports
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
NB: Shortlisting will be done as the applications are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
World Vision is both an equal opportunity employer and a Christian organization. We conduct recruitment without regard to race, ancestry, national origin, age, sex or gender, marital status, parental or pregnancy status, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual. We take a firm stance against racism, discrimination, and harassment and foster an environment where people with a multiplicity of personal characteristics are embraced and valued. Qualified women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.