Position Title: Finance Officer
Supervisor: Finance and Operations Manager
Working under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Manager, the Finance Officer primary role is to support the Finance Department with standard fiscal operating procedures linked to: inventory control and related record keeping; preparation of the monthly expense close-out reports sent to Headquarters; processing of travel and general procurement related invoices, claims, advances etc.; as well as the preparation of VAT claims. S/he shall also serve as a support to the Finance team in terms of establishment of vendor accounts as well as partaking in necessary vendor liaison linked to procurement exercises undertaken by the FHI 360 Office. S/he shall conduct general administrative functions as requested in support of the maintenance of an updated and easily accessible filing system as a result of fulfilling the above duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Finance and Operations to ensure smooth operation of all financial matters.
- Ensure that all financial data for the office is recorded in the financial system accurately, timely and completely.
- Ensure the integrity and quality of the data in the financial database. This includes and not limited to reviewing, analysis of various accounts and alert relevant staff of any irregularities.
- Manage the petty cash for the office and administer petty cash disbursements
- Ensure that all transactions are adequately authorized and properly supported
- Assist with payment processing, VAT claims, and end of year reports preparation
- Sending of payment confirmation to vendors and following up on invoices and receipts.
- Prepare monthly reports for accounts receivables and ensure that staff debtor accounts are settled promptly.
- Generate age analysis reports in line with existing policies and procedures
- Prepare and send out receivable or payable statements to staff and other vendors
- Follow up with staff any long outstanding program and travel advances to ensure timely reconciliations and recommend appropriate action in a timely manner
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to technical staff, including interpretation of policies, setting up of systems and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Work together with the finance team in planning and carrying out trainings on FHI 360 policies and procedures.
- Conduct other general administrative functions as may be requested
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A customer-friendly attitude and an ability to cope with work-related stress
- Proven proactive skills in identifying cost savings, cost avoidance and efficiency opportunities.
- Ability to develop effective work plan and priorities in order to meet business objectives.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal customers and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge in pricing, contracts negotiations, conflict resolutions, policies and procedures.
- Good analytical, numerical and mature problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing needs and patterns of work.
- Excellent report writing and documentation skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Demonstrated experience in working with Accounting Packages such as Pastel, AccPac, Quick Books or any other Accounting Software
- Ability to manage and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Good team player, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable in working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and respect for diversity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and management with diplomacy and firmness.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and requirements:
- BAcc/BCom/BTech degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, coupled with 3-5 years post qualification relevant experience.
- Recently Graduate of ACCA, CIMA, ICSA, SAA, IAC or any other relevant professional qualification with 3-5 years post qualification will be relevant.
- Familiarity with U.S. Government grants or other donor funded programs
- Contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year funds will be an added advantage.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.