The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking skilled and motivated candidates to fill the position below and this position is based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. The position is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records.
Objective of the post
The staff will work closely with CIMMYT staff to establish networks of mechanization service providers and research and demonstration trials, operate, set up and maintain farm machinery and other equipment for field assessment, demonstrations, field days, fairs, trainings, and other field activities. The staff will conduct daily and periodic maintenance of the machinery, repair them as needed, and provide technical support to the service providers so that they can successfully operate the machinery and run the business. The staff will assist in local fabrication, and improvement of farm machinery, collect trial and service providers’ business data, and assist in conducting trainings, and other day to day activities under different objectives of activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate farm machinery and irrigation equipment such as two-wheel tractors, four-wheel tractors, seeders, rippers, irrigation pumps, sprayers, power weeders, threshers/shellers, chopper-grinders, trailers, etc.
- Adjust, repair, and service farm machinery and install irrigation systems.
- Assist in assessment and improvement of farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Conduct daily, periodic, and seasonal maintenance of the farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Assist service providers in set up, adjust, and use of farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Assist during training of farmers, mechanization service providers, manufacturers, dealers, NGO staff and other partners on operation, repair, trouble shooting, maintenance, and fabrication of farm machinery and irrigation equipment.
- Transport and operate machinery for awareness meetings, demos, and other promotional activities at the activity districts.
- Assist the local manufacturers and activity team in 2nd generation engineering.
- Assist Mechanization Field Officer in day-to-day activities.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Certificate Course or Diploma in Farm Machinery/Mechanical/Automotive Engineering/Boiler Mechanics or related field with five years of relevant work experience
- Understand, operate, repair, and maintain engines, farm machinery, and irrigation equipment.
- Experience working in agricultural machinery companies or mechanization projects would be essential.
- Candidates must hold a valid driving license (class 3).
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Work From Home
- Training & Development
Kindly fill and submit the online form under each position no later than Monday, 29th May 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.